Notgrove, a parish in Gloucestershire, 2¼ miles WNW of the Fosse Way, 4 WSW of Bourton-on-the Water, and 4 N of Northleach. It has a station, called Notgrove and Westfield, about a mile NW, on the Banbury and Cheltenham section of the G.W.R., and a post office under Cheltenham; money order office, Naunton; telegraph office, Bourton-on-the Water. Acreage, 1724; population, 133. The manor belonged in the reign of Henry IV. to Sir Guy de Whittington, a nephew of the famous lord mayor of London, and remained in the possession of the family till the reign of Elizabeth. It now belongs to Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £27 with 302 acres of glebe and residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, chiefly Perpendicular, and was restored in 1872-73. A fine old carved screen divides the nave from the chancel, which retains a piscina and aumbry and has fresco paintings on the E wall. The church contains tombs of the Whittington family and a Norman font and Norman arcade.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Notgrove St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Stow-on-the-Wold|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1660.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient building principally in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north transept, south porch and a western tower with small spire containing 3 bells: the chancel retains a piscina and aumbry, and on the east wall are ancient paintings of the Crucifixion, St. Mary Magdalene anointing our Saviour's feet, and five other subjects; above, under richly gilt canopies, are represented the Annunciation, the Adoration of the Magi, and the Coronation of the Virgin, and over these are figures of six saints and an embattled cresting, now much decayed: both sides of the chancel were also once decorated, and the arches of the nave arcades bear traces of colour: within the communion rails, under an arch on the north side of the chancel, is a handsome tomb, with the date 1630, surmounted by the effigy of a lady, conjectured to represent a member of the Whittington family: on the south side of the chancel lies the marble effigy of a man in legal robes and a ruff, supposed to represent William Whittington; raised above and on a slab, supported by short marble pillars, is the recumbent figure of a knight in armour of the Elizabethan period, assigned to John Whittington, of Pauntley, esq. father of the preceding; the armorial bearings show that both these effigies are to members of the Whittington family: in the chancel is also a stone sarcophagus, and a tomb with the effigy of a priest vested, believed to represent Parker, the last abbot of Gloucester: the two windows of the chancel and one in the nave are stained: the original Norman font, still used, is in good preservation: the nave arcade is also Norman: in 1872 the chancel was restored at a cost of £400, and the body of the church in 1873 at a cost of £900, under the direction of Mr. J. E. K. Cutts, architect, of London: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Notgrove from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Notgrove (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Notgrove are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.