Northwick (Henbury), Gloucestershire
Northwick, a tithing and a chapelry in Henbury parish, Gloucestershire. The tithing is conjoint with Redwick, and lies on the river Severn, 5¼ miles SW by W of Thornbury. Post town and money order office, Pilning, under Bristol; telegraph office, Tockington. Acreage of Redwick and Northwick, 1263; population, 385. For parish council purposes Northwick and Redwick are combined, and have a parish council consisting of five members. Part of the land lies very low, and is protected from the tide by a huge sea-wall. The living, with Anst, is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Henbury, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to St Thomas, was rebuilt in 1840, is in the Norman style, and consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a low tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Thornbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northwick (Henbury) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Northwick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Northwick (Henbury) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.