North Cerney, Gloucestershire
Cerney, North, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Churn, near Ermine Street, 4 miles N of Cirencester. The parish includes the manor and hamlet of Calmsden and the hamlet of Woodmancote, and has a post and money order office under Cirencester; telegraph office, Cirencester. Acreage, 4176; population, 585. Cerney House is the seat of the Croomes. There are traces of a Roman outpost here, and coins and other remains have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £600 with residence. Patron, University College, Oxford. The church, originally Norman, is cruciform with Perpendicular transepts. It was restored in 1876, and contains a stone pulpit, some good ancient stained glass windows, and a monument of 1647 to Thomas Rich. There is an ancient preaching cross surmounted by a 12th century crucifix.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Cerney All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1563.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone in the Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, north porch and a saddle-back tower containing 6 bells: there are three ancient stained windows and three of recent date, one of which was given in memory of T. L. Croome esq. one by Mrs. Dawson Allen in memory of her husband, a former rector, and another by the children of the parish: since 1876 the east end of the chancel has been entirely rebuilt, the church restored throughout, an organ chamber added, and the interior re-seated: the south transept has been restored and furnished as a chapel by W. I. Croome esq. and his mother: there are 200 sittings: in the churchyard is an ancient cross shaft, surmounted by a 12th century crucifix as a Maltese cross in a circle.
Plymouth Brethren Mission Hall, Woodmancote
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1891.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Cerney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cerney, North (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of North Cerney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.