Naunton, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Windrush, 2 miles N of Notgrove station on the G.W.R., and 5 WSW of Stow-on-the-Wold, is long and straggling, and is sometimes called Naunton-in-the-Vale. It has a post and money order office under Cheltenham; telegraph office, Bourton-on-the-Water. The parish comprises 3177 acres; population, 491. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £450 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is Early English, and consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with an embattled tower. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Naunton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Stow-on-the-Wold|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Naunton 1545-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1540.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 3 bells: the church was repaired in 1878, at a cost of about £200, and completely restored in 1899, at a cost of £662, when it was entirely refloored and reseated and the walls underpinned, and four new pinnacles placed on the tower: a new organ was provided in 1913: the church affords 200 sittings. The churchyard was enlarged in 1910, the land being the gilt of Mrs. Waddingham, of Guiting Grange.
The Baptist chapel, built in 1850, has seating for 200 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Naunton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Naunton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Naunton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.