Winterbourn, a chapelry in Chieveley parish, Berks, 3½ miles NNW of Newbury station on the G.W.R., and 2½ SW of Chieveley village. Post town, Newbury. The living is annexed to Chieveley. The church, which stands on an eminence, is a building of flint and stone in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
The church of St. James, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower of brick containing 2 bells: in the church is a monument of marble, with arms, to Philip Weston esq. ob. June 9, 1729, and on the floor are memorials to the Southby, Head, Spear and Prior families: the east window is stained: the church was completely restored and re- seated and enlarged by the addition of aisles in 1854, and has now 200 sittings.
Winterbourne was in Hungerford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winterbourne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Winterbourne)
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Winterbourne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.