Minsterworth, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Severn, 1 mile E of Oakle Street station on the G.W.R., and 4½ miles WSW of Gloucester; was anciently called Mortune, is a straggling place, and has a post and telegraph office under Gloucester; money order office, Lower Westgate Street. The parish comprises 1825 acres; population of the civil parish, 411; of the ecclesiastical, 429. The parish council consists of five members. Minsterworth Court, Hygrove, Severn Bank, and Duns House are the chief residences. There are fruit orchards and salmon fisheries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a low tower. It was rebuilt in 1871, and contains a curiously sculptured font and a good reredos. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Minsterworth St. George|
|Hundred||the Duchy of Lancaster|
|Poor Law union||Westbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Minsterworth 1633-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1633.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1870, is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, from designs by Mr. Henry Woodyer, architect, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the east window and others are stained: in 1906 an organ was erected by subscription, and in 1884 both the exterior and interior were decorated with sculptures at the expense of Messrs. Ellis: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Minsterworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Minsterworth (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Minsterworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.