Mangotsfield, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village is 5 miles NE of Bristol, and has a station on the M.R. and a post and money order office; telegraph office, at the railway station. There is another station and also a telegraph post office at Staple Hill. The parish contains also the ecclesiastical parish of Downend and part of that of Kingswood. Acreage, 2606; population of the civil parish, 7247; of the ecclesiastical, 1555. It is divided into three wards for the purposes of the parish council, which is composed of fifteen members. There are numerous good residences. Pennant stone is worked in the W, and the coal tract of Kingswood adjoins the S. There was anciently a nunnery, the remains of which existed in the time of Leiand. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £200 with residence. The church, which is ancient, was repaired in 1850, is in the Pointed style, and consists of nave, N aisle, chantry, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mangotsfield St. James|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1578.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel with chantry, which retains a piscina, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled tower on the south side, with pinnacles and spire, and containing a clock and 6 bells: the church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1850, and has 350 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mangotsfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mangotsfield (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Mangotsfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.