UK Genealogy Archives logo

Maisemore, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Maisemore, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Severn, 2 miles NNW of Gloucester, and has a post office under Gloucester; money order and telegraph office, Gloucester. The parish comprises 2047 acres; population, 440. Maisemore Lodge is the seat of the Sevier family, and stands on high ground, commanding a fine view over the Severn. A bridge crosses the Severn,. and was rebuilt after the siege of Gloucester. A Roman settlement was at Overton. The living is a vicarage in the-diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £284 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church has Norman features, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1844, and the rest restored and enlarged in 1869. The chancel arch is Norman, and there are some ancient monuments and a fine carved oak pulpit.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishMaisemore St. Giles 
HundredDudstone and Kings Barton 
Poor Law unionGloucester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Maisemore 1538-1813, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The register dates from the year 1558.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

St. Giles (parish church)

The church of St. Giles is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, recast in 1884: in the north aisle are memorial windows to the Rev. G. Harmer, a former vicar, and to John Ford Sevier esq.: in the nave and north aisle are monuments to Francis Wheeler, of Maysemore, ob. 1675, whose relict died in 1680: there are other memorials to Richard Boyle esq. ob. 1633; Alexander Ready, 1639; Edmund Ready, his son, 1708; Robert Carpenter, 1675; Robert Willoughby, 1641; Antony Pembruge, ob. 1696, and William Pembruge, ob. 1738: the chancel arch is Early English: the pulpit, a splendid specimen of carved oak, bears the date 1636: an organ was erected by subscription in 1881: the chancel was restored in 1844 by Dr. Monk, then Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and the entire structure in 1869, when a north aisle was added, and the interior fitted with low open seats and the gallery removed, at a cost of about £1,500: there are 300 sittings.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Maisemore from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Maisemore are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL2
Post TownGloucester