UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Lower Slaughter, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Slaughter, Lower, a parish, with a village, in Gloucestershire, 1 mile N by W of Bourton-on-the-Water station on the G.W.R., and 3 miles SW of Stow-on-the-Wold. It has a post and money order office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Bourton-on-the-Water. Acreage, 974; population, 231. There is a parish council consisting-of five members. The manor has belonged to the Whitmore family since 1605. The manor house was erected about 1770. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water. The church was rebuilt in 1867. There is a Baptist chapel. A public hall was built in 1887.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
HundredSlaughter 
Poor Law unionStow-on-the-Wold 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Lower Slaughter 1813-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The separate register dates only from the year 1814; all entries anterior to this date were made in the registers of Bourton-on-the-Water.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower, with spire, containing 6 bells: there are five stained windows: the church was rebuilt in 1867 at the sole expense of the late Charles Shapland Whitmore esq. Q.C.: there are 220 sittings.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lower Slaughter from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lower Slaughter are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictCotswold
CountyGloucestershire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtGL54
Post TownCheltenham

Advertisement

Advertisement