Longhope, a parish in Gloucestershire, near the boundary with Herefordshire, 6 miles N by W of Newnham, and 9 W of Gloucester. It has a station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the G.W.R., and a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 3153; population, 972. Yartleton Hill or May Hill is an eminence 973 feet above the level of the sea, commanding an extensive view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £334. The church, All Saints, is ancient, and was restored in 1870. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Longhope All Saints|
|Hundred||the Duchy of Lancaster|
|Poor Law union||Westbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1693, and a terrier of 1656 has been discovered.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient cruciform edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower, with finials, containing 5 bells: the stained east window, erected in 1861, is a memorial to the Rev. Vernon George Guise, a former vicar, d. 10 March, 1861, and the south window, inserted in 1911, is to the memory of Thomas Miller and his wife and sister: a new organ was erected in 1893, and was rebuilt and enlarged in 1912 at a cost of £300 defrayed by Miss Constance Miller: the church was restored in 1870, at a cost of £400, and has 350 sittings.
The Baptist chapel, erected in 1846, has 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Longhope from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Longhope, Upper and Lower (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Longhope are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.