Little Rissington, Gloucestershire
Rissington, Little, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 1 mile SE of Bourton-on-the Water station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles S of Stow-on-the Wold. There is a post office under Bourton-on-the Water (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Bourton-on-the Water. Acreage, 1479; population, 221. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor house is a modern Elizabethan mansion. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is variously Norman, Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular, and was restored in 1850 and 1883. It contains a piscina, aumbry, and lepers' window.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Little Rissington St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Stow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Little Rissington 1550-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates continuously from the year 1543.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a small building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: the two arches separating the nave and north aisles are Norman: the chancel with its eight lancet windows is Early English, and contains a memorial window to the Rev. R. Wilbraham Ford, a former rector, placed there in 1862 by his children; it also retains a piscina and aumbry and a low-side window; the staircase to the rood loft also remains; the remaining windows are Decorated, and the porch and font Perpendicular: in 1850 the church was restored and beautified, principally at the cost of John Bennett esq. and the then rector; in 1883 the church was again restored at a cost of £1,125, under the direction of Mr. Bassett Smith, architect, of London, and has 150 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Rissington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rissington, Little (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Rissington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.