White Waltham, Berkshire
Waltham, White, a parish in Berks, 3 miles SW of Maidenhead station on the G.W.R., and 7 W of Windsor. It was formerly called Bury Town, and it includes Waltham Abbotts. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Maidenhead. Acreage, 2643; population of the civil parish, 859; of the ecclesiastical, with Shottesbrook, 1043. White Waltham Place is a fine mansion situated on an eminence in a well-timbered park of 108 acres. Roman. coins, tiles, and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Shottesbrook. The church, with the exception of the chancel and mortuary chapel, was rebuilt in 1868. Hearne the antiquary was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||White Waltham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Cookham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
White Waltham was in Cookham Registration District from 1837 to 1896 and Maidenhead Registration District from 1896 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for White Waltham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Waltham, White, or Waltham-Abbas (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of White Waltham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.