UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Lasborough, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Lasborough, a manor and an ecclesiastical parish in Weston Birt parish, Gloucestershire, among the Cotswolds, 5 miles W by N of Tetbury, and 6½ SE of Frocester station on the M.R. Post town, Wootton-under-Edge; money order and telegraph office, Tetbury. A Roman settlement was here. The living is a rectory, united to that of Western Birt, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1861 in the Early English style. Lascelles Hall, a village in Lepton township, W.R. Yorkshire, 3½ miles E of Huddersfield, and 1 mile from Fenay Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Huddersfield; money order and telegraph office, Almondbury. There is a working men's club.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishLasborough St. Mary 
HundredLongtree 
Poor Law unionTetbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The separate register dates from the year 1827; earlier entries are included in the registers of Weston Birt and other neighbouring parishes.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary

The church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1861 by the patron, after designs by Mr. L. Vulliamy, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and a western turret containing 2 bells: the tenor bell was presented by Mrs. G. Thomas, a former churchwarden: the font is Norman: the altar, of fine carved oak, originally came from a farmhouse on the Holford estate at Arlingham: there are sittings for 120 persons.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lasborough from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lasborough are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyGloucestershire

Advertisement

Advertisement