Lancaut, a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Wye, 2 miles N by E of Chepstow. Post town, Chepstow. Acreage, 218; population, 4. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of Woollaston, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is in ruins.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lancaut St. James|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register is incorporated with that of Woolastone.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The church of St. James, a small but ancient building, is now, and has for a long time been, in ruins.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Lancaut from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Chepstow Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lancaut from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lancaut (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lancaut are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.