Kings Stanley, Gloucestershire
Kingstanley or King's Stanley, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the Stroudwater Canal, near Ryeford station on the Nailsworth, Stroud, and Stonehonse branch of the M.R., 3¼ miles SW of Stroud. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stone-house. The parish comprises 1719 acres; population of the civil parish, 1982; of the ecclesiastical, 1245. The manor belonged to the Mercian kings, and passed to the families of Maltravers, Arundel, and others. Traces of a Roman camp are within the parish, and Roman altars and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church is good, partly Norman, and has an embattled tower. The parsonage is ancient, and has been restored and enlarged. The ecclesiastical parish of Selsley was constituted in 1863 out of this parish. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||King's Stanley St. George|
|Poor Law union||Stroud|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at King's Stanley 1573-1835, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1575.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. George (parish church)
The parish church of St. George is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and one bell: there are five stained memorial windows: the church was enlarged in 1823, and restored in 1876, at a cost of £1,460: there are 200 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kings Stanley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanley, King's (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kings Stanley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.