Ilmington, a village in Warwickshire, and a parish partly also in Gloucestershire. The village stands 4¼ miles NW of Shipston-on-Stour, and 4½ NE of Chipping Campden, and has a post and money order office under Shipston-on-Stour; telegraph office, Mickleton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lark Stoke, Compton Scorpion, and Foxcote. Acreage, 3807; population, 703. Foxcote House is a chief residence. A strong chalybeate spring, formerly in considerable repute, is about a quarter of a mile from the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £676. The church is ancient, chiefly Norman and Early English. There are Roman Catholic and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ilmington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ilmington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ilmington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.