Huntley, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands about 5 miles from the boundary with Herefordshire, 2½ miles E of Longhope station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the G.W.R., and 4S of Newent. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1439 acres; population, 422. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £321 with residence. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1863, is in the Decorated English style, comprises nave, chancel, N aisle, transepts, and S porch, has had a spire added to the tower, is richly fitted in the interior with sculptures, medallions, coloured marbles, and alabaster. The pulpit and lectern are of marble and alabaster, the font of carved stone, and all the windows are of stained glass.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Huntley St. John the Baptist|
|Hundred||the Duchy of Lancaster|
|Poor Law union||Westbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Huntley 1583-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1663.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in the year 1863, at the sole expense of the Rev. Daniel Capper, of Cheltenham, rector from 1839, from designs by Mr. S. S. Teulon, architect; it is a building of red sandstone with Painswick stone dressings, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, transepts, north aisle, south porch, vestry and a western tower, with spire of Painswick stone, added in 1863, and containing 6 bells: the reredos is of alabaster, mosaic and marble, with carved representations of "the Lord's Supper," the "Nativity" and the "Resurrection"; the pulpit, of the same material, is also handsomely carved: all the windows are stained: in 1908 an oak and glass screen was fitted in the belfry: there are sittings for about 300 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huntley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Huntley (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Huntley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.