Hinton on the Green, Gloucestershire
Hinton-on-the-Green, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Isborne, near the boundary with Worcestershire, 3 miles SSW of Evesham, has a station of the name of Hinton on the Evesham and Ash-church branch of the M.R. It has a post office under Evesham; money order and telegraph office, Evesham. Acreage of parish, 2291; population, 175. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £202 with residence. The church is ancient, was restored in 1863, and has a fine tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hinton-on-the-Green St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore & co. transcript of the Marriages at Hinton on the Green 1735-1812 is available to browse online.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1735; marriages, 1755.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with traces of Norman work, and consists of nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells, four of which are inscribed with a chronogram of the date 1693: the chancel, said to have been destroyed by fire before the Reformation, was rebuilt on the old foundations in 1895, at a cost of about £540, from designs by the late Mr. J. D. Sedding, architect, of London: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hinton on the Green from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hinton-on-the-Green (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hinton on the Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.