West Ilsley, Berkshire
Ilsley, West, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands in a deep valley, under the Downs, near Ictdeton Street, 1½ mile NW of East Ilsley, 4 miles E from Compton station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Newbury; money order and telegraph office, East Ilsley. The parish comprises 3037 acres; population, 316. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, about £150 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, and has a bell-turret. Antonio de Dominis, archbishop of Spalatro, and Goodman, bishop of Gloucester, were rectors, and the latter was visited here in 1644 by Charles I. on his way to Donnington Castle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Ilsley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wantage|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1558.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is an ancient fabric of flint with stone facings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch and a western turret containing one bell; the north aisle was added in 1876; on the south side of the chancel is a marble slab inscribed to John Head, of Hodcott, d. 1803; and there is a tablet to John Head, d. 1746, and his wife, d. 1756; there are other memorials to William Morland, d. 1838; Margaret, wife of Thomas Gale, d. February 7th, 1784; and a brass to Marianne Morland, d. April 10th, 1877, to whose memory the stained east window was also erected; and in the nave is a memorial window to George Norland esq. placed by Lord and Lady Wantage in 1879: on the north side of the chancel is a brass recording the opening of a new north aisle August 9th, 1876; and of the chancel July 20th, 1878 (when a dedication stone was laid by H.R.H. Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein); the restoration of the church, completed in 1881, was carried out under the superintendence of Mr. Edwin Dolby, architect, of Abingdon; in 1894 the chancel was partially restored and re-floored; the south aisle has also been re-floored, at a total cost of about £100: there are now sittings for 230 persons; on the north side of the churchyard is a memorial to Thomas Wise, for many years verger of St. George's chapel, in Windsor Castle, who died 5th April, 1880, and a tomb of granite, inscribed to George Bowes Morland, of Abingdon, d. June 1, 1878.
There is a Baptist chapel here, erected in 1866.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
West Ilsley was in Wantage Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Ilsley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ilsley, West (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of West Ilsley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.