Hatherop, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands 3 miles N of Fairford, and 9 ENE of Cirencester. Post town, Fairford (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Coln St Aldwyn's. The parish includes also the hamlet of Netherton. Acreage, 2123; population, 307. The manor formerly belonged to Lacock Nunnery, and passed successively to the Blomer, Webb, and Ashley-Cooper families, Lord de Mauley, the Maharajah Duleep Singh, and now belongs to the baronet family of Bazley. Hatherop Castle is a fine Tudor edifice, restored by Lord de Mauley about 1850. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £350 with residence. The church was erected in the 15th century and rebuilt in 1855, and has a mortuary chapel with monument to Lady de Mauley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hatherop St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Hatherop 1578-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1578.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, rebuilt in 1855, is an edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a central tower containing 6 bells, the gift of Sir John Webb bart. in 1715, and a clock with chimes, presented by Sir Thomas S. Bazley bart. in 1868: there are 20 stained windows, and attached to the church is a beautiful mortuary chapel, with a marble monument, by Monti, to Barbara, Lady de Mauley, who died 5th of June, 1844, erected by her husband, William F. Spencer Ponsonby, first Lord de Mauley, who also restored the church about 1850, and died 16th May, 1855: the carved font was the gift, in 1856, of William Longbourne esq. in memory of the same Baron de Mauley: the communion plate includes a chalice, dated 1599: there are sittings for 200 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hatherop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hatherop (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hatherop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.