Hasfield, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Severn and the boundary with Worcestershire, 6 miles SW of Tewkesbury, 7 NE of Newent, and 9 N of Gloucester. It has a post and telegraph office under Newent; money order office, Newent, The parish comprises 1446 acres; population, 225. The manor belonged in the Conqueror's time to the Pauncefote family. Hasfield Court, the old manor-house, dates from the reign of Henry VI., stands on an eminence, and is partly surrounded by a moat, which has been widened to form an ornamental sheet of water. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £370 with residence. The church is partly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, with porch and tower; and contains a very ancient monument of the Pauncefotes, a Norman font, and some stained memorial windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hasfield St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tewkesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the north aisle, erected about 1850, was chiefly completed by the Rev. James Sevier, rector from 1833, and the widow and relatives of Thomas Fulljames esq. formerly of Hasfield Court; the east window of the north aisle is a memorial to Thomas Fulljames and family: in the chancel is a stained window presented by the Rev. J. Sevier, and two memorial windows to the wife and only daughter of the late Rev. Henry Adams Sergison Atwood M.A. vicar of Ashleworth 1839-80; there is another memorial window to William Miller esq. of Cheltenham: the monuments include one of great antiquity to the Pauncefoot family: the font is a plain work of Norman date, and there are some well-carved bench ends: in 1895 the church was thoroughly restored and a new heating apparatus was fixed, at a cost of about £120: there are 200 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hasfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hasfield (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hasfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.