Hartpury, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Leadon, and the Hereford and Gloucester Canal, 5 miles NW of Gloucester, was formerly called Hardeper and Hardepery, and has a post and telegraph office under Gloucester; money order office, Gloucester. The parish comprises 3670 acres; population, 781. Hartpury House is the chief residence, and is the seat of the Canning family. Rich meadows lie along the Leadon, and are subject to frequent inundations. Orchards for yielding cider and perry are considerable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £288. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is chiefly Early English, with some Norman remains; it was restored in 1882. There are Roman Catholic and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hartpury St. Mary|
|Hundred||Dudstone and Kings Barton|
|Poor Law union||Newent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1571.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, of the Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular, periods, consisting of chancel and nave, west porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the south door is Norman; the chancel screen, of carved oak, is a memorial to the Rev. W. G. S. Addison, vicar 1856-1899: in the window on the north side are some remains of stained glass: in the chancel are memorial windows to the Rev. Charles Crawley, vicar from 1838, to Mr. Joseph Hooper, late of Gloucester, and also one in the nave to the memory of the Rev. Robert Podmore Clark, vicar 1899-1901: the church was thoroughly restored in 1882, at a cost of about £700, when the pews were replaced by open seats and the gallery removed, under the direction of Mr. Waller, the diocesan architect: there are 170 sittings.
The Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected at the expense of the Canning family in 1830.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartpury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hartpury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hartpury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.