Hanham, a hamlet, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bitton parish, Gloucestershire. The hamlet lies on the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1 mile NW of Keynsham station on the G.W.R., and 5 miles ESE of Bristol. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Kingswood (R.S.O.) The township comprises 1248 acres; population, 1925. The ecclesiastical parish of Hanham Abbots was constituted in 1844. Population, 1960. Hanham Hall, an Elizabethan mansion, is the manor-house. There is a colliery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £294. Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. The church is a small Early English edifice, formerly connected with Keynsham abbey, and adjacent to the old court-house. Christ Church, a chapel of ease, was erected in 1842.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Langley and Swinehead|
|Poor Law union||Keynsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The original registers of Hanham Abbots, for baptisms and marriages only, and dating from 1586, were for a long time in the custody of the vicar of Bitton. The modern register dates from the year 1815.
The register of Christ Church dates from the year 1842.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church, now the parish church, is a rectangular building of stone, erected in 1842, and consists of chancel, nave, north and south porches and a western turret containing 2 bells: the stone pulpit was erected in 1894 by the parishioners and others in memory of the Rev. William Fry B.A. vicar 1843-93: the brass eagle lectern was the gift of Mr. Fry's family: the church was reseated in 1878, at the sole expense of W. H. Atchley esq. and in 1891 was considerably enlarged, at a cost of £1,600, and will now seat 550 persons.
dedication unknown, Hanham Court (parish church)
Hanham Abbots parish church, formerly a chapel of ease to the church of St. Mary at Bitton, stands within the grounds of Hanham Court, and structurally attached to the mansion; it is a building of stone of the early part of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell, inscribed with the name of St. George, to whom the church was probably dedicated: the font is Norman: the church was extensively renovated in 1909, under the direction of Mr. Bligh Bond, architect, and reopened in June of that year: there are 150 sittings.
The John Wesley Memorial Wesleyan Methodist chapel was erected at a cost of about £6,000.
United Methodist Chapel
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hanham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hanham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hanham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.