Hampnett, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the Fosse Way, 1 mile NW of Northleach, and 6 miles SW of Bourton-on-the-Water station on the G.W.R. Post town, Northleach (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1406; population of the civil parish, 162; of the ecclesiastical, with Stowell, 245. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Stowell, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £311 with ' residence. Patron, the Earl of Eldon. The church is partly Norman, partly Perpendicular, and was restored in 1868.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hampnett St. George|
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Stowell, annexed to Hampnett in 1660, dates from the year 1594.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The church, dedication unknown, built c. 1160, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the tower was originally central, but in the 15th century the nave was widened on the south side, a tower built at the west end, and the central tower taken down, till the roof of the lower part was on a level with that of the chancel, new windows were also inserted on the north side of the chancel, and on the south side both of chancel and nave: three of the old Norman windows still remain: there are several stained windows, and the interior is ornamented with mural decorations: the church was restored in 1868 and has 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hampnett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hampnett (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hampnett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.