Guiting Temple, Gloucestershire
Guiting (or Guyting) Temple or Upper Guiting, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 5 miles NW of Notgrove station on the G.W.R., and 6 E by S of Winchcombe. The parish includes also the hamlets of Ford Hill, Trafalgar, Rineton Hill, and Bemborough. Post town, Winchcombe (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Stanway. Acreage, 6004; population, 443. The manor belongs to Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £100 with residence. Patron, Christ College, Oxford. The church is ancient, has a massive Perpendicular tower, and was restored in 1885; it is dedicated to St Mary, dates from the time of the Rnights Templar (hence the name of the parish), consists of chancel, nave, north transept, north porch, and a massive embattled western tower, containing a clock and five bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Temple Guyting St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Winchcomb|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore & co. transcript of the Marriages at Temple Guiting 1676-1752 is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1647.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch and a massive embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: there are three small stained windows in the chancel and one in the nave: the brass eagle lectern was presented in 1909 by the Hon. Hubert G. E. Hanbury-Tracy, and marble tablets to the Rev. the Hon. George Talbot D.D. vicar, d. November, 1782, by whom the church was repaired about 1770, and to the Beale-Browne family in 1774: the church has been restored since 1873 at a cost of £1,081, and the nave was tiled in 1908: the church affords 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Guiting Temple from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Guyting, Temple (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.