Frampton on Severn, Gloucestershire
Frampton-upon-Severn, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Severn and the Gloucester and Berkeley Ship Canal, 5 miles W by N of Stonehouse, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office nnder Stonehouse. The parish includes the hamlet of Froombridge, and comprises 2323 acres; population, 856. The manor came into the possession of the Cliffords before the end of the llth century, and still remains in the-hands of that family. Frampton Court is a fine mansion erected in 1731. Much of the land lies lower than high tides in the Severn, and is protected from inundation by a bulwark, called the Hock Crib, constructed by the Earl of Berkeley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £195 with residence. The church dates from the beginning of the 14th century, and was restored in 1871; it contains an ancient tomb and memorials of the Clifford family. There is a Congregational chapel. The village green here is very fine and prettily situated, being half a mile long, Q1S with the road in the middle and cottages and houses each side of the green. It is called on the Tithe Map (t Fair Rosamond's Green," and there is a tradition that Fair Rosamond at one time lived in the old manor house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Frampton-on-Severn St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wheatenhurst|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Frampton-on-Severn 1625-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1626.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, consecrated July, 1315, by Walter de Maydestone, then bishop of Worcester, is an edifice of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, north and south chapels, nave of five bays, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells; the stained east window is a memorial to Henry Clifford Clifford esq. d. 1867, and there are memorial windows to Thomas Watts esq. and Anne his wife, and to Jane (Lambie), wife of John Watts esq.: in the north chapel are the recumbent effigies of a knight in armour and a lady, conjectured to represent William Clifford, ob. 1321, and Catharine de Malton, his wife: the font is of lead and dates from about the end of the 11th century: the east window in the north chancel chapel contains some ancient glass bearing the arms of the Clifford and the Hoare families: in the upper lights of one of the windows in the north aisle there is represented the Berkeley coat of arms; underneath this window there was discovered about 1905 the recumbent effigy of a child beneath a canopy: the church was restored in 1870 and has 400 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Frampton on Severn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Frampton-on-Severn (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Frampton on Severn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.