Frampton Cotterell, Gloucestershire
Frampton Cotterell, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Frome, 2¼ miles WSW of Yate station on the M.R., and 4 W by S of Chipping Sodbnry, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Fishponds (R.S.O.) The ecclesiastical parish includes the tithing of Wick-Wick. Acreage of the civil parish, 1927; population, 1945; of the ecclesiastical, 1008. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £518 with residence. The church is ancient, and most of it was rebuilt in 1858; it contains some ancient brasses and one of the few chained copies of Bishop Jewel's "Apology for the Church of England," dated 1568. A portion of the civil parish is in the ecclesiastical parish of Coalpit Heath. There are in the Coalpit Heath portion Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and in the ecclesiastical parish a house for orphans and a private lunatic asylum. The parish church contains toany painted windows, and various vestments, copes, and hanging lamps, some of them ancient, and several pictures and frescoes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Frampton-Cotterell St. Peter|
|Hundred||Langley and Swinehead|
|Poor Law union||Chipping-Sodbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1561.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, a building of stone in the Anglo-Norman (Transition) style, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1858, by the late Rev. W. C. Fox, then curate and patron of the living and afterwards rector, at a cost of £10,000, in the Perpendicular style, and now consists of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells: the east end of the north aisle forms the chapel of St. Mary, and the east end of the south aisle that of St. John: the east window and eleven others are stained: there is a brass with long inscription to John Symes esq. M.P. for the county of Somerset, 21 James I. (1623-24), who died in 1661, and Amy (Horner) his wife, with others to former rectors of the parish: in the church, and chained to the stand on which it rests, is a copy of Bishop Jewel's "Apology for the Church of England," dated 1568: there are 526 sittings.
The Congregational chapel, founded in 1795, has sittings for 320 persons.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
United Methodist Chapel
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Frampton Cotterell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Frampton-Cotterell (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Frampton Cotterell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.