Fishponds, an ecclesiastical parish in Gloucestershire, 3 miles NE of Bristol, and within the parliamentary borough of that city. It has a station on the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Population, 6812. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Patron, the Vicar of Stapleton. The church was erected in 1820. There is also a mission church, Baptist, Primitive, and Free Methodist, and Christian Brethren chapels, and an almshouse. A Wesleyan chapel and schools were erected in 1893. The Bristol workhouse and lunatic asylum, and the diocesan training institution for mistresses for national schools are situated here.
The parish registers for the Diocese of Bristol are available online at Ancestry, in association with Bristol Archives.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fishponds are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.