Elmore, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, near the river Severn, 5 miles SW of Gloucester. Post town, Gloucester. Acreage of the civil parish, 1820; population, 430; of the ecclesiastical, 346. Elmore Court has been the seat of the Guise family, the lords of the manor, since the reign of Henry III. The mansion, rebuilt in the reign of Elizabeth, commands extensive views, and contains valuable paintings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £100. The church is Early English, and was restored in 1879; it contains monuments to the Guise family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elmore St. John the Baptist|
|Hundred||Dudstone and Kings Barton|
|Poor Law union||Gloucester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1560.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. John (parish church)
The church of St. John is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: there are monuments and stone slabs within the altar rails, belonging to the Guise family, including a raised tomb with the rude figure of a man, and a marginal inscription to John Gyse, ob. 1479, and Alice his wife, and other memorials to Sir William Guyse, ob. 1642; Margaret (Kenn), his wife, and William, his son, ob. 1653; and to William Guise esq. d. 1716, and Dorothea (Snell), his wife, d. 1738; and Henry Guise esq. d. 1749: the church was restored in 1879, at a cost of nearly £1,500, and again in 1899 at a cost of about £150: there are sittings for 350 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elmore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elmore (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.