Ebley, a village in Stonehouse parish, Gloucestershire, half a mile from Dudbridge station, on the M.R., and 1¼ W of Stroud. It has a post office under Stroud; money order and telegraph office, Cainscross. It forms part of Cainscross ecclesiastical parish. There are a woollen-cloth mill and a steam sawing-mill. There is a Congregational chapel.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
The chapel of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, founded in 1797 and rebuilt by subscription in 1881 at a cost of £3,300, has 650 sittings.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ebley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.