UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

East Leach Turville, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

East-Leach-Turville, a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Leach and on Icknield Street, 4 miles N of Lech-lade, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 2784; population, 374. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of East-Leach-Martin, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross joint value, £282. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishEast-Leach-Turville St. Andrew 
HundredBrightwells-Barrow 
Poor Law unionNorthleach 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1654.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. Andrew (parish church)

The church of St. Andrew, erected in or about the 12th century, is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, a very fine south porch and a western saddle-back tower containing 2 bells: there are 120 sittings.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Leach Turville from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of East Leach Turville are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.