UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Eastington, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Eastington, a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Frome and the Stroudwater Canal, 2 miles W of Stonehouse station on the M.R., 3 W of Stonehouse station on the G.W.R., and 4¼ W of Stroud. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stonehouse, and contains the workhouse of Wheatenhurst, and the hamlets of Alkerton, Nup End, Nast End, Mill End, Church End, and West End. Acreage, 2018; population, 1370. Eastington House, Eastington Lodge, the Rectory, and The Leaze are the chief residences. A considerable woollen cloth manufacture is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £400 with residence. The church is principally Perpendicular, and was restored in 1885; it contains a Norman font, some ancient brasses, and some good stained windows. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Alkerton, and a Baptist chapel at West End.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishEastington St. Michael 
Poor Law unionWheatenhurst 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Eastington 1558-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The register dates from the year 1558.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

St. Michael (parish church)

The church of St. Michael is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, south aisle, north porch and a western tower, with turret, containing a clock and 1 bell: there are four stained windows: the west window, erected in 1893, is a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Peters B.A. rector here, 1837-83, and was presented by the three children of his son, Ralph E. Peters esq.: the font is Norman: the organ was provided in 1886, at a cost of £382: there is a brass with effigy in heraldic mantle and marginal inscription to Elizabeth (daughter of Sir William) Knevet, ob, 1518; and an inscribed brass to Edward Stephens, gent. ob. 1587, and Joan his wife, ob. 1587, with 5 children: the church was restored and enlarged by the addition of a north aisle in the year 1885, at a cost of £1,770, under the direction of Messrs. Waller, Son and Wood, architects, of Gloucester: there are 450 sittings.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Eastington from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Eastington are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Villages, Hamlets, &c


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL54
Post TownCheltenham