Dyrham and Hinton, Gloucestershire
Dirham and Hinton or Dyrham, a parish in Gloucestershire, on an affluent of the river Avon, among the Cotswolds, 3½ miles NW of Marshfield, 6 S by E of Chipping-Sodbury, and 5¼ E of Mangotsfield station on the M.R. It has a post office, of the name of Dyrham, under Chippenham; money order and telegraph office, Marshfield. Acreage, 3020; population, 365. Dirham Park is the seat of the lord of the manor, erected in 1698, and contains a fine collection of paintings. A camp on Hinton Hill is thought by some to have been a Roman outpost of Bath, by others to have been formed in connection with a battle between the Britons and the Saxons in 577. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value £414 with residence. The church belongs to the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, and contains some ancient monuments and brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dirham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Chipping-Sodbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Hinton, dates from the year 1568.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: in the south aisle is a very fine brass with mutilated canopies and six Latin verses, to Sir Morys Russell, ob. 1401, and Isabel, his wife; and a monument of freestone, with a canopy supported by five columns of the Corinthian order, and recumbent effigies representing George Wynter, ob. 1581, and Ann, his wife; there are also figures of eleven children, two inscriptions, and shields of arms: the font is Norman: the church was restored and reseated in 1877 at a cost of £1,500, under the direction of Mr. G. Vialls, architect, of London, when a new organ was erected: there are sittings for 220 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dyrham and Hinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dirham, or Dyrham (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
Dyrham Park was the home of the Blathwayt family for over 300 years before being given over to The National Trust in 1961, and subsequently purchased in 1976.
Villages, Hamlets, &cHinton (Dirham)
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.