Dumbleton, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Isburn, 2¼ miles E of Beckford station on the Ashchurch and Evesham branch of the M.R., 5 N by W of Winchcomb, and 6 S of Evesham, with a post and money order office under Evesham; telegraph office, Ashton-under-Hill. Acreage, 2185; population, 412. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £302 with residence. The church is ancient, and contains some monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dumbleton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Winchcomb|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1738.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of two bays, north aisle and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, re-hung at the cost of Mrs. Eyres, of Dumbleton Hall: on the north wall there are monuments to Sir Richard Cocks bart. d. 1684, and Judith, his wife, d. 1689, Sir Richard Cocks bart. d. Oct. 1726, and Frances (Nevil) his first wife, d. 1723, and to Sir Robert Cocks, 4th and last bart. d. 4th April, 1765: on the chancel wall is a curious old monument with figures of two persons kneeling, and of a child asleep on a cushion, erected to Sir Charles Percy knt. 4th son of Henry, 8th Earl of Northumberland, ob. 1628, his wife Dorothy, ob. 1646, and child: about 1894 the east window was filled with stained glass by Mrs. Eyres, in memory of her husband, H. W. Eyres esq.: the church was restored in 1905 with two new porches, new organ chamber and reseated in oak, and affords sittings for 220 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dumbleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dumbleton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dumbleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.