Driffield, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, adjacent to the Thames and Severn Canal, 3½ miles SE by E of Cirencester. Post town, Cirencester. Acreage, 1264; population, 114. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Harnhill, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; joint gross value, £316 with residence. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Driffield St. Mary|
|Hundred||Crowthorne and Minety|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from 1560.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church or St. Mary is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a western tower containing 3 bells.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Driffield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Driffield (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Driffield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.