Dodington or Doddington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, among the Cotswolds, at the head of the river Frome, 2¼ miles SE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 4 SE by E of Yate station on the M.R. Post town, Chipping-Sodbury. Acreage, 1496; population, 131. Dodington Park, the seat of the lord of the manor, is a noble mansion in the Grecian style, situated in an extensive park, and contains a good collection of pictures. Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £220 with residence. The church, rebuilt in 1805, is in the form of a Greek cross, and is surmounted with a dome.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dodington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chipping-Sodbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1575.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary, wholly rebuilt and consecrated in 1805, at the expense of the late Sir Christopher Bethell Codrington bart. who died 4th February, 1843, is an edifice in the Classic style, in the form of a Greek cross, the eastern limb forming the chancel, and in the centre rises a stone vaulted dome supported on four monolithic stone pillars: the nave is paved with marble of different colours, framed in brass, and there are three stained windows: a stone font was erected in 1878, and there are two marble monuments to the Codrington family: a new reredos with a representation, in white marble, of the "Crucifixion," was erected in 1894, to the memory of the late Lady Georgiana C. A. Codrington, d. 2nd December, 1884: there are 150 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dodington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dodington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Dodington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.