UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Didbrook, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Didbrook, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village lies under the Cotswolds, near the river Isborne, 3 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6¼ SE of Beckford station on the Evesham and Ashchurch branch of the M.R. The parish includes also the hamlets of Coscomb and Wormington Grange. Acreage, 536; population of the civil parish, 141; of the ecclesiastical, 298. Post town, Winchcomb (R.S.O.) Wormington Grange, the seat of the Gist family, is a fine mansion surrounded by extensive grounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Pinnock-cum-Hyde and the chapelry of Hailes, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £203 with residence. The church was built in 1475, has a pinnacled square tower, and contains the tomb of the founder, the last Abbot of Hailes.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishDidbrook St. George 
Poor Law unionWinchcomb 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The register, including Pinnock and Hailes, dates from the year 1556.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

St. George (parish church)

The church of St. George, built by William of Whitchurch, last abbot of Hailes, 1475, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, originally containing 5 bells: in 1911 the old bells were re-cast and a new one added: the founder's tomb, a stone coffin, with very beautiful cross, chalice and missal carved thereon, is in the north wall of the church: the stone font was made and given by the late Mr. William Edwards, churchwarden, in 1858: the east window is filled with old glass collected by the Rev. H. B. Pruen M.A. curate in charge here, 1851-73: there are 150 sittings.


Wesleyan Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Didbrook from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Didbrook are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL54
Post TownCheltenham