Cubberley or Coberley, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, among the Cotswolds, 2¼ miles S of Charlton Kings station on the G.W.R., and 4¼ S by E of Cheltenham, with a post office, of the name of Coberley, under Cheltenham; money order and telegraph office, Charlton Kings. Acreage, 3639; population of the civil parish, 346; of the ecclesiastical, 588. At the " Seven Springs " in this parish is the source of the river Churn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £351 with residence. The church was enlarged in 1330 by Thomas Berkeley, then the lord of the manor, and contains several monuments to the Berkeley family. The chancel was rebuilt in 1869, and the nave in 1872. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cubberley St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Cheltenham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1539.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Giles (parish church)
The church of St. Giles is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south chapel, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: a handsome screen of wood separates the tower from the nave: the south chapel retains a low side window: at the east end of the chancel, on either side, are several recumbent effigies of the 14th century, two of which probably represent Sir Thomas Berkeley (who enlarged the church in 1330), and Joan his wife: there is also a demi-effigy of a knight holding a heart, supposed to represent Sir Giles de Berkeley, whose heart was interred in this church in 1295, and his body at Little Malvern: under an arch on the south side is a female figure not identified: the chancel was rebuilt in 1869, and the nave in 1872: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cubberley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cubberley (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.