Cromhall, a parish in Gloucestershire, 2 miles SW of Charfield station on the M.R., and 5 E of Thornbury. It has a post and money order office under Falfield (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Falfield. It contains the tithings of Cromhall-Lygon and Cromhall-Abbotts. Acreage, 2594; population, 606. The manor belonged to the abbey of St Augustine in Bristol, and the estate of Cromhall-Lygon belonged to the Lygons. The Earl of Ducie is the presents lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £414 with residence. Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1852. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cromhall St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Thornbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1653.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch, and low massive embattled tower on the north side containing 2 bells: the stained east window was inserted in 1852, when the church was restored: there are also windows in the south aisle and chancel in memory of the Rev. W. I. Copleston, rector 1839-1874: a new organ was installed in 1911; there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cromhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cromhall (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cromhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.