Cold Ashton, Gloucestershire
Cold Ashton, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 5¼ miles N of Bath, and 8 S of Chipping Sodbury. Post town, Marshfield, under Chippenham. Acreage, 2389; population, 344. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £410 with residence. The church was partially rebuilt by Thomas Keys about 1510, to whose memory there is a small brass. There are also some monuments, chiefly to the families of the Whittingtons, Gunnings, and Bushes. There is a handsome Elizabethan manor house in the possession of Earl Temple, the lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cold Ashton Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Chipping|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1734; marriages, 1754.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting rof chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: there is a mural brass in the chancel, with a Latin inscription of six lines to Thomas Key, rector, and builder of the church, c. 1500: there is a hagioscope on the south side of the chancel arch, and on the opposite side is the entrance to the ancient rood loft, with a spiral staircase: the carved oak pulpit, in which it is said Bishop Latimer preached, is richly moulded, and has a canopy with crocketed finials: the church was partially repewed in 1852, and in 1894 was entirely reseated and refloored, at a cost of about £1,100, raised by subscriptions: an organ, the gift of Miss Ward, was also erected at a cost of about £400: there are sittings for 300 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cold Ashton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashton, Cold (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cold Ashton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.