Clifford Chambers, Gloucestershire
Clifford-Chambers, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Stour, l¼ mile E of Milcote station on the Stratford-on-Avon and Alcester branch of the G.W.R., and 2 miles S of Stratford-on-Avon, with a post office under Stratford-on-Avon; money order and telegraph office, Stratford-on-Avon. Acreage, 1725; population, 348. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £105 with residence. The church is a small ancient building, partly Norman, contains some ancient brasses, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clifford-Chambers St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Stratford-upon-Avon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Clifford Chambers 1538-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1538.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Helen (parish church)
The church of St. Helen is a small building of stone in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, and containing a clock and 5 bells: the church contains several ancient monuments to the Raynsford family, including a brass to Elizabeth Marrowe, daughter of Hercules Rainsford, ob. 29th Oct. 1601, and another to Hercules Rainsford and Elizabeth, his wife, ob. 1583, aged 39, and three children: the stained east window is a memorial to George and Eliza Pippet, 1899, and there is another to Richard Sidney Smith, for 25 years churchwarden, d. 1905: the church was restored in 1885-7 at a cost of £1,556, and affords 170 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1912, and will seat 70 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clifford Chambers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clifford-Chambers (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Clifford Chambers are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.