Churcham, a village, a township, and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Severn, near Oakle Street station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles W by S of Gloucester, under which it has a post office; telegraph office, Huntley. Acreage of the township, 2275; population, 411; acreage of the civil parish, 4314; population, 724; of the ecclesiastical district, 577. The parish includes also the hamlets of Over, Linton, Highnam (which form the ecclesiastical parish of Highnam), and Birdwood. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Bulley, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £280 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church lias some Norman portions, and has been restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Churcham St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Westbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from 1541.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a small building of stone in the Early English and Norman styles, consisting of chancel and nave, south porch and a western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel arch is Norman: the roof, wooden spire and bells were destroyed by fire in 1876: the church was partly rebuilt in 1878, at a cost of £1,800, and the bells were recast by Warner and rehung at the same time, the chancel also being restored: the clock was presented to the church in 1884 by the late Edmund Weight esq. and in 1885 a stone font, an exact counterpart of the original, was presented by Mrs. Weight: a new organ was provided in 1910: there are 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Churcham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Churcham (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Churcham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.