Cherington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 4 miles NNE of Tetbury, and 2 from Culkerton station on the G.W.R. The parish includes Westrip hamlet, and its post town is Stroud; money order and telegraph office, Minchinhampton. Acreage, 2267; population, 199. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £250. The church is partly Early English.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Cherington 1569-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1560.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, south transept, north porch, and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the church was restored in 1881-2, at a cost of £500, and affords 130 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cherington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.