Chedworth, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Coin, 4 miles SW of North-leach and 7 from Cirencester. The Midland and Southwestern Junction railway passes through the village, with a station at Chedworth. It has a post office (S.O.); money order office, Fossebridge; telegraph office at the railway station. The parish comprises 4781 acres; population, 778. Part of the land is occupied by Chedworth Wood. A barrow occurs on high ground, and a Roman villa was discovered in 1864. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £301. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church has a fine sculptured stone pulpit. Its architecture dates back to the 12th century, though considerable alterations were made in the Perpendicular period. It was restored in 1883. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chedworth St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Chedworth 1653-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1653.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew, erected about 1485, is a building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with battlements, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the piscina still remains: the pulpit of stone is richly panelled and crocketed: chained to a desk is a copy of Bishop Jewell's "Apology for the Church of England": the church was restored in 1883, under the direction of Mr. Waller, diocesan architect, when the aisle was rebuilt, the church refloored throughout, a vestry added at the east end of the aisle and open seats introduced, at a total cost of £1,750, and the church now affords 310 sittings: remains of a former church were discovered in 1852 in a field near the present building.
The Congregational chapel, founded in 1750, has 200 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chedworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chedworth (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chedworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.