UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Chalford, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Chalford, a tithing, a village, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bisley parish, Gloucestershire, on the river Chale and the Thames and Severn Canal, 1½ mile E by N of Brimscombe station on the G.W.R., and 3½ ESE of Stroud. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stroud. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1842; population, 2377. Much of the surface is a picturesque reach of valley, called Chalford Bottom. There was formerly a manufacture of broad cloth by the hand-loom, and the first clothing-mill is said to have been erected here. There is now a large manufactory of walking sticks and umbrella sticks, and also cloth, flock, and shoddy mills. There are traces of Roman encampments, and coins, &c., have been found. Friar Bacon is said to have been born at Chalford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Gloucester. The church was built in 1724, and enlarged in 1841. There are Congregational, Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Civil parishMinchinhampton 
Poor Law unionStroud 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1841.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

Christ Church (parish church)

Christ Church, erected by the inhabitants in the year 1724, and repaired, enlarged and consecrated in 1841, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells, repaired and re-hung in 1908 at a cost of upwards of £65: in the chancel is a memorial to the Thomas family, with carved work by Mr. John Thomas, who executed the sculptures at the Houses of Parliament: in 1890 the interior was thoroughly restored and reseated, the chancel being refitted in oak, and a new roof constructed at a cost of £1,300: a memorial window has also been erected to Mr. Charles Ballinger: there are 350 sittings.


Baptist Chapel

The Baptist chapel, founded in 1740, had 500 sittings.


Brethren meeting house


Primitive Methodist Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Chalford from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Chalford are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL6
Post TownStroud