Wokefield, a township in Stratfield Mortimer parish, Berks, 5½ miles SSW of Reading. Acreage, 666; population, 126.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Stratfield Mortimer|
|Poor Law union||Bradfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Wokefield was in Bradfield Registration District from 1837 to 1937 and Wokingham Registration District from 1937 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wokefield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wokefield)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wokefield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.