Badgington or Bagendon, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Churn and near Ermine Street, 3 miles N by W of Cirencester, which is the post town. Acreage, 1146; population, 182. Remains exist at Penot's Brook, ½ a mile distant, of two entrenchments, which are supposed to have been thrown up in 556, on occasion of a battle between the Britons and the West Saxons. Bagendon House and Moorwood House are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £200. Patron, Jesus' College, Oxford. The church is Norman, with Perpendicular additions. It has a saddleback tower, a Norman font, and some good memorial tablets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Badgington St. Margaret|
|Hundred||Crowthorne and Minety|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1630.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Margaret (parish church)
The church of St. Margaret is a building of stone principally in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western saddle-back tower containing 5 bells: the nave and aisle were new-roofed in 1875: the arcade separating the nave and north aisle is Norman, and dates from about 1150: the oldest part of the church is the tower, which may be of Saxon date: the exterior exhibits insertions and additions of Perpendicular character, probably dating from about 1740: the font is Norman and probably coeval with the earliest part of the structure: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. William Dyke M.A. rector 1861-80, and was erected by his widow; and there are others to James Capel Croome esq. (1886), Mr. Edward Trinder (1890) and John Poole Haines esq. (1892), and Mrs. Haines (1906): the church was thoroughly restored in 1889, at a cost of £578, and affords sittings for 103 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Badgington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Badgington, or Bagendon (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.