Badgworth, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on a small tributary of the Severn, 2 miles E of Churchdown station on the M.R. and G.W., 3 SW of Leckhampton station on the G.W.R., and 4 SW of Cheltenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bentham, Little Shurdington, the Reddings, and Little Witcomb, and its post town is Cheltenham; money order and telegraph office, Churchdown. Acreage, 3901; population of the civil parish, 1096; of the ecclesiastical, 847. Badgworth Court and The Greenway are the chief residences. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Bentham, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £160. The church is interesting, partly Perpendicular and partly Decorated, and has been carefully restored. It has a chapel dedicated to St Margaret. The Decorated windows of this chapel are very fine. There is a square embattled tower and a south porch with an ancient oak door, and massive oak parish chests in the porch.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Badgeworth St. Mary|
|Hundred||Dudstone and Kings Barton|
|Poor Law union||Cheltenham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1559.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south porch, north chapel, dedicated to St. Margaret, and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells: in St. Margaret's chapel is a memorial to William Lawrence, ob. 1682: the stained east window was erected by Mrs. Selwyn-Payne, as a memorial to her father, and there are memorial windows to the late Col. J. Selwyn-Payne (d. 1880), to the Rev. John Frederick Christie, vicar here from 1836, and to Miss S. Bubb; and a memorial brass to the Rev. A. W . Ellis-Viner B.A. vicar, 1849-1902, and every preceding vicar since 1270: there are 230 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Badgworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Badgeworth (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Badgworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
Villages, Hamlets, &cBentham
Little Whitcombe or Witcombe
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.