Aston sub Edge, Gloucestershire
Aston-sub-Edge, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, under Bredon Hill, 2½ miles SSW of Honeybourne station on the G.W.R., and 2½ NW of Chipping Campden, which is the post town. Acreage, 728; population, 141. The Earl of Harrowby is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £260. Patron, the Earl of Harrowby. The church is a small modern edifice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aston-Sub-Edge St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The existing register of baptisms dates from the year 1719; marriages and burials, 1720; but in the parish chest at Mickleton there is preserved a parchment volume of quarto size, containing a register of baptisms, marriages and burials, dating from 1539, and evidently belonging to the adjoining parish of Aston sub Edge: the words "Aston Register" can be traced in very pale ink on the outer cover, over which, in a later hand and in darker ink, the indorsement, "Mickleton Register," has been written: the transfer of the book from the church to which it properly belongs may be accounted for by the fact that the two parishes were for many years served by the same clergyman, who resided at Mickleton: there are entries relating to the Porter family, for many years connected with this parish, and from whom sprang Endymion Porter, the faithful attendant of Charles I.; also of the Overbury family, to which belonged Sir Thomas Overbury, who was poisoned in the Tower, 15th September, 1613.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a small modern building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave and a western turret containing one bell, cast in 1797; in 1884 the windows were renewed in stone and the chancel reseated, and in 1890 the interior was thoroughly restored at the cost of the 3rd Earl of Harrowby, A marble tablet has been erected to the Rev. Ralph Francis Watson M.A. rector here, 1871-87, who suddenly died in the pulpit whilst pronouncing the benediction: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston sub Edge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aston-Sub-Edge (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.