Ashton under Hill, Gloucestershire
Ashton-under-Hill, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, with a station on the Ashchurch and Evesham branch of the M.R., 6 miles SW of Evesham. It has a post office under Tewkesbury; the money order office is at Beckford, and telegraph office at the railway station. Acreage, 1664; population, 361. The village contains good stone houses with square mullioned windows and lofty gables. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient, and has an embattled tower with pinnacles; it was enlarged in 1868. It is the only church in England dedicated to St Barbara. Near the church are the remains of an ancient stone cross, which has a sundial at the top.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashton-Under-Hill St. Barbara|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of marriages and burials dates from the year 1586; baptisms, 1596.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St Barbara (parish church)
The church of St. Barbara is a building of stone in the Early English style, with traces of Perpendicular work, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, small north aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells; in 1868 it was enlarged by taking in the school-room formerly attached to the north aisle: there are several mural tablets to the Baldwyn family, dating from 1816 to 1857; the east window is stained: the church affords 259 sittings. It is the only church in England dedicated to St. Barbara.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashton under Hill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashton-Under-Hill (St. Barbara))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.